About The Area

Friary Green and the surrounding area

The FGRA area is within the suburban Acton Central location.   The area prides itself on diversity and provides an excellent example of how period buildings can be seamlessly integrated with modern constructions of similar size and style.

Acton means “oak farm” or “farm by the oak trees” and is derived from the Anglo-Saxon ac (oak) and tun (farm). Originally an ancient village (mentioned in the Domesday Book), as London expanded, Acton became absorbed into the city. Acton is home to more railway stations than any other area of London; seven stations in the locality feature Acton in their name.
Central Acton

Central Acton is synonymous with the hub of commerce and retail on the former main road between London and Oxford (the Uxbridge Road), a reminder of its history is in its inns, which date back in cases to the late Tudor period as stopping places for travellers. 

 
Nowadays, the principal route linking London and Oxford (the A40 dual carriageway) bypasses central Acton, but passes through East Acton and North Acton.
 

 
Acton Mainline
 
Acton Main Line was opened by the Great Western Railway (GWR) on 1 February 1868. Originally simply named Acton, it was operated by the Western Region of British Railways following nationalisation in 1948. On 1 November 1949 it was renamed Acton Main Line. When sectorisation was introduced, the station was served by Network SouthEast until the privatisation of British Railways in 1993.


Together with the underground stations at West Acton and North Acton, Acton Main Line serves the GWR garden estate. This large area of family housing, bordered on three sides by the stations named and on the fourth side by the A40 road, was developed by GWR in the 1920s to accommodate its staff, particularly drivers from the Old Oak Common depot.
 
By 1947 the station had four platforms, all partially covered along their length by wooden canopies, as well as a siding next to platform 1. Both platform 1 and its siding were demolished in the late 1960s, when the imposing Victorian station building was also pulled down and replaced with a small booking office. As a result of this, the current three platforms no longer have canopies and are numbered 2, 3 and 4. The platform 1 permanent way is still intact, and is used as a fast through line for non-stopping trains; all Intercity Trains pass through on the Great Western Main Line. The current station building was completed in early 1996; there was also extensive renovation of the adjacent bridge on Horn Lane throughout 1995 and 1996. In mid-2013 a gated barrier was built, dividing platforms 2 and 3 for their entire length.

Horn Lane

Horn Lane serves as the main route between Acton High Street and the A40. 


Despite being a residential street for many, including a number of retired people at Pegasus House (shown above), and having some much appreciated green space in the form of Springfield Gardens, this stretch of road is recognised as one of the most polluted in London. This is something that has caught many peoples' attention, including Local MP Angie Bray, and has resulted in questions being asked regarding the suitability of an Industrial site being located just off Horn Lane on the west side of Acton Mainline station.

As Horn Lane is an important part of the FGRA area, and an important part of Acton and West London for that matter, residents need to pay particular attention to it's future, especially in light of it's use as the main road serving the future Crossrail site and the impact that it's levels of pollution could be having on us all.  Details of air quality and pollution around the Horn Lane area can be found on our air quality/pollution page.

Subpages (1): Air quality/pollution